July 30, 2015 12:27 am
1. Look for high-quality products. When it comes to paint, quality matters. Search for a combination paint-and-primer to save a few steps and ensure complete coverage and deep color saturation. The paint should have high hiding ability and resist dirt and scuffs.
2. Get inspired online. Color selection can seem intimidating, but it's a chance to infuse your personality into your home. Many online resources are available for homeowners to explore, coordinate and experiment with different looks. Pinterest, Houzz and Apartment Therapy are great websites for browsing images, finding home décor inspiration and colors that speak to you.
3. Use paint samples, rather than chips. The most realistic way to envision the color in your home is to see it in action. Many paint retailers offer small sample cans for just a few dollars. Use these to paint a few stripes of each color option in the room you'll be painting. Note how color changes in different lighting conditions.
“Sunlight, shadows and furniture can all alter the appearance of paint in your space,” says BEHR Vice President of Color Marketing Erika Woelfel. “Before fully committing to a hue, make sure it's one you'll love morning, noon and night."
4. Use the right painting supplies. High-quality painting tools save you time over the course of your project and produce the most beautiful finish. For best results, use a lint-free roller cover. Select brushes made of nylon and polyester. For flawless edges, use a painter's tape specifically designed for your surface type.
5. Prep before painting. Begin by removing all wall fixtures, such as pictures, doors and light switches. If you have small cracks or holes in your walls, remove any dust and apply a patching material. Make sure to allow this to dry completely before sanding the finished area. Wash away oil, grease or wax stains by dampening the surface, applying mild detergent with a sponge and then rinsing the wall clean. Once dried, you'll be ready for smooth application and beautiful color.
Published with permission from RISMedia.